Friday, September 26, 2008

Apple Picking...

Today we decided to have Kya ditch preschool, so that we could spend a fun family day at our local apple farm. And, I shouldn't really say that Kya ditched, as it was more of a field trip for her considering that her class spent the last couple of weeks studying all about apples. They learned about the different colors they come in, that some are sweet and some are tart, they learned how to make applesauce, examined the inside of the apple and saw that there is a star in the middle of every apple. They also used the apples as stamps by cutting them in half and dipping them into paint.

We started out the morning, by eating homemade apple cinnamon pancakes followed by watching a DVD of Calliou and his preschool classmates at an apple farm. (sorry no pictures)



Here are the kids posing for their obligatory pictures in front of some apple trees before heading out to do some picking.
The farm is very popular for school field trips, so they have some educational things as well in regards to the late 1800's. Here we are posing in the doorway of an unfinished log house. They have the school kids actually build part of it.
Elsie is looking through the slats at us inside.
Then the kids learned all about washing clothes by hand from this lady dressed in 1800 clothes.
And then I had them pose in front of the freshly washed clothes, now hanging out to dry. Let me tell you how happy I am for modern appliances.

Then it off to pick some apples!





Seth enjoyed picking up the bad apples off of the ground more than he did picking them off of the tree. I kept having to explain that the ground apples were yucky.

Here is Kya with our two bags filled with apples before going in to have them weighed. (yes, I know her sunglasses are upside down. she likes them that way! LOL)

Here is Elsie trying to steal Daddy's hat while Seth, Kya & I are inside paying for our fruit.
Miss Kya trying on a Little House on the Prairie bonnet. We tried to get a good family picture with no such luck. I figure we have from now until early December to get a decent picture for our Christmas cards.

YUMMY, enjoying the "fruits" of our labor.




After us being farmers for the day, we headed up the hill to a little BBQ place for hot dogs, tri tip sandwiches and what else....apple pie.

After lunch, we headed over to the petting zoo, where they wanted too much money just to see a few goats and chickens. Luckily, one of the workers brought out a chicken for the kids to see and pet, which sort of appeased the kids.
Seth liked to look at the chicken, but did not want to touch her.

The day was lots of fun until my flip flops broke right after I finished paying for our apples! I ended up hobbling all over the rocky dirt road, until I was able to find a general store to buy more shoes. You can see in this picture that I desperately am in need of a pedicure!








No comments:

Blog Backgrounds