My Grandma asked me a while back if I would make and can her some peach jam if she could get me the peaches. Of course I said yes and had a fun afternoon making the jam with my little helper.
![]() |
| Elsie enjoyed squeezing the soft fruit between her fingers to remove the seed. |
![]() | |||
| I made 18 jars, but one of the pint size jars ended up breaking while in the canner. So sad! I am hoping to get our own peach tree soon and then we can have more peaches than we know what to do with. |
Kya took a cooking class this Summer. It was a four week class and she learned how to make muffins, meatballs, pizza and a berry trifle. She had lots of fun and so I am sure we will be signing her up again soon.
![]() |
| I posted this picture on facebook and was informed by a friend of mine that the instructor is her cousin! Small world. |
Although our 4th of July weekend was fairly busy, it didn't go quite has I had hoped it would. I really wanted to spend Friday at a local parade, come home to BBQ and then get together with friends for a firework show. In the end, Wayne was able to work overtime (more money!) and the parade started way too early for our slow poke family. So we nixed the parade and just stayed home. I did venture out with the millions of other people to buy ribs at Stater Bros and made some fall off the bone, yummy spare ribs, corn on the cob, baked beans and watermelon. Sounds pretty typical of 4th of July food eh? We packed up all the food and ate dinner with Wayne in his office and then returned later on to sit in the district office parking lot to watch the fireworks. Although the city firework show was pretty good, I have to say that the illegal fireworks being shot off all over town was even better. Not saying I am a fan of those, in fact, they scare me a lot, but they are nice to watch from a distance. Even with our laid back day, the kids were wiped out! Kya was curled up behind Elsie, but I had already carried her to her own bed, before Wayne suggested I take a picture.
The next morning we had to get up and dressed pretty early to watch our friends kids compete in a horse show for their 4-H Club. I am really hoping to get the kids involved in 4-H as well and thought this would be a good time to check out what it is really all about. Turns out it wasn't and we are hoping to go to their local fair to actually learn more. Anyways, it was fun to see our friends and to watch all that the kids have learned in the riding arena. The show started at 9am and I thought it would be over no later than 10am (I mean really, only 4 kids were competing!), but turns out it didn't end until almost noon. Ugh! That meant that the other plans I had for that day fell through as well. I was hoping to go up the hill to Mountaineer Days, but to fully enjoy the activities, we needed to leave out house no later than 11am and obviously that didn't happen, so we just spent another day at home.
![]() |
| Katie and Kassidy had already taken off their western shirts to cool down. |
Ken and Eileen came over for a short while before leaving on a plane for Colorado so they could bring Seth his birthday present and some goodies from Germany.
![]() | ||
| Seth got this iron horseshoe hat hanger for his wall and a light up razor. |
![]() |
| We all got some German candy to share, a typical German decoration and the girls got some cute hair bows. I love that Eileen always thinks of us when she is traveling. |
On Sunday, Wayne preached at our church while our pastor was on vacation and then we came back later on that night for our church picnic. So like I said, it was a fun, full weekend and we all just learned how to deal with unexpected changes. I will up date the second half of our summer fun in about a month!









No comments:
Post a Comment