Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Free Day at the Museum

Sunday, our local museum was having a free day for everyone. So we gladly took advantage and made our way over after church. The kids were able to see and do lots of firsts. Some of the things they will appreciate when they are older, but it was still fun to educate them a bit now.

The kids and I posed in front of this Cactus Garden before entering the museum.
We first made our way over to the live animal exhibit, where Kya got to touch her first snake, while mommy hid behind daddy. This was a young Python that was only about 5 feet long. I missed snapping the picture while she actually was touching it, but here ya go anyways. Seth and Elsie wisely decided to stay close to mommy...

while Wayne was brave like Kya. He even got to hold the snake for a few seconds.

Kya was interested in this Tarantula, but not willing to go close enough to touch it.

while Elsie, would have loved to touch it, but Wayne was wise enough to know that she would have more than likely tried to pick it up rather than touch it with just one finger.


Kya loved petting this very docile bunny rabbit. Seth got up on the step stool to look at it, but wouldn't touch it.


This Cockatiel, in its cage, was more Seth's style.



They both loved using the magnifying glass to look at things up close and personal. Here Kya is checking out the snake skins.


Check out that eye dude!



Seth said his favorite thing at the museum was this old train. I think once upon a time they might have allowed kids to go aboard it, but now it is safely behind a chain link fence. Here is a close up picture....



and here is one where you can see more of the trains engine.


Seth was also very fascinated with this old mine stuff. He desperately wanted to climb up on it all and couldn't understand why I wouldn't let him.

Back inside the museum, we got to see lots of stuffed animals in the Mammal section. Here is Kya next to a Polar Bear and a little Artic Fox. Amazing just how big and powerful these animals really are.

Seth climbed up on this petrified rock and asked me to take his picture. I am sure climbing on it was against the rules, but he was up there before I could tell him to not do it.


In front of some Mule Deer. The kids kept asking for me to take their picture, but there was so much for them to see that they wouldn't focus on the task at hand and therefore their eyes are always looking somewhere else.

Check out how big this Moose was! I was amazed at how large the body vs. how small the legs are.

After the Mammal section we made our way to Transportation Through the Years.
I am guessing this ride is from the early 1920's, but I forgot to check out the sign to be sure.


A favorite was the horse drawn wagon. Can you imagine taking your family on vacation across the country in this thing?

There was lots more to see and do, but we had to leave because all three kids were very tired and one even decided to throw herself down on the floor and have a bit of a temper tantrum.

Thank you Hunny for seeing this in the newspaper and thinking to take your family out for an afternoon together. I love spending time with all of you! Love ya!!!

1 comment:

~aj~ said...

What a neat museum! The polar bear reminded me of LOST. ;)

And I'm not even kidding...I had to step away from the computer when I saw that tarantula picture. ACK! They are my biggest fear!

Blog Backgrounds