Wednesday, July 1, 2009

First day of swim lessons for Kya

Kya started her swimming lessons this past Monday. She will have lessons every week day for two weeks. After roll was called, they had all the kids sit on the edge of the pool.
Then they took them one by one to access if they were to be in level 1, 2 or 3. Kya was quickly placed in the level one class, which was so large it had to be divided in half. There are 8 kids in her class ranging in age from 4 to 6 years.

After being assessed, they had the kids hold onto the side of the pool. This was a task Kya had never done before and I think it freaked her out a bit, because she kept yelling, "Teacher, Teacher, Help!" Once they assured her she would be okay, she was fine.

Once in their perspective groups, the lifeguards had the kids do various skills, such as move along the side of the pool holding onto the wall (or as they call it 'the choo choo train' move), blow bubbles, go under the water completely and then float on their backs with the lifeguards help. I love how Kya has her tongue sticking out here! I would have taken pictures of every skill, but the lifeguards had to ask all us over protective parents to go sit down as we were distracting our little ones. LOL It is just so hard to leave your baby in the hands of others, especially when they are in a big pool, can't swim and there are a bunch of kids and only 7 young lifeguards. Lastly, they taught the kids how to climb out of the pool by themselves.

I haven't been able to take any pictures since Monday, because just after uploading these my camera battery died and I have no idea where the battery charger is. I am very upset about this, as I missed some great shots today of mine and my friends kids playing at the splash pad and park today. I most definitely have to 1) find my battery charger or 2) go buy another one. This must be done soon, as I must have pictures of our 4th of July celebration!


No comments:

Blog Backgrounds