Monday, November 23, 2009

Grocery's and Savings

I have been doing http://www.thegrocerygame.com/ for just over a year now. The whole point of the grocery game is to buy items at rock bottom prices and to stockpile. Most people make up a grocery list and shop for what they will need that week. My grocery list is different, I shop for whatever is on sale and that I know I will use in the future. The only exception to this rule is milk, bread and produce and even then I usually only buy produce that is in season, which makes them cheaper. Like I said, I have been doing this for a while, so I have lots of food and cleaning supplies stocked up already. (I will take a picture of my pantry some day soon) Because of this I am sure when people look in my cart, they think all I feed my family is junk food some weeks or that I am a clean freak other weeks. Like yesterday, due to the Thanksgiving holiday being this week, my cart contained a lot of sale items for food most people eat on Thanksgiving and not much else.

Here is a picture of last nights purchase.

The items in the picture are:

  • 4 gallons of milk
  • 6 packets of yeast
  • 20 pounds potato's
  • 2 1/2 pounds banana's
  • 7 pounds oranges
  • 2 cool whip toppings
  • 2 milky way chocolate bars
  • 8 boxes stove top stuffing
  • 1 pkg hoagie rolls
  • 2 Pillsbury sweet rolls
  • 3 claim jumper pie's
  • 7 pounds apples
  • 1 box instant mashed potato's
  • 1 Betty Crocker frosting
  • 1 32oz. coffee-mate creamer
  • 8 yoplait yogurts
  • 1 bag frozen chicken breasts
  • 2 boxes Gordon's frozen fish
  • 4 comet's

Grand total before coupons/sales: $154.90

Total Paid: $58.04

Savings of: $96.86

Our meals this week will be:

  • Monday: Stove Top Stuffing and Chicken casserole
  • Tuesday: Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich - Steak Sandwich and Salad
  • Wednesday: Fish and Veggies
  • Thanksgiving - (I am bringing Creamy Mashed Potato's and Homemade Rolls)
  • Friday: Pork Chop Casserole
  • Taco's

So see, even though I bought a bunch of junk food, they will all just go in my freezer or pantry and we will still have yummy healthy dinners because I have a bunch of meat and frozen veggies in my freezer that I had bought on sale a while back.

If you like this, let me know and I will try to post my weekly shopping excursions.

2 comments:

~aj~ said...

Yes, please share posts like this more often. You are inspiring!

I used to do quite a few of the deals that MoneySavingMom posted, but either I became lazy or it just became too much work because that didn't last too long. lol I'm a serious coupon clipper and stock up on cleaning/toiletry items, but other than that I just shop normally and use whatever coupons are applicable. It works fine...but I'm sure not saving 90 something bucks a week!!!!

Livin’ The Yeh Life’s said...

Wow... very impressive!!

Blog Backgrounds